Monday, May 31, 2010

Kwon Sang Woo: ‘I Acted While Motivating Myself’

Actor Kwon Sang Woo: "I was worried about acting as a student soldier because I might have looked awkward due to my old age, but I fully agreed with the significance of this movie and I became immersed in the movie while acting."

Director Lee Jae Han: "I want people to watch this movie from a viewpoint of humanism instead of analyzing the movie with some specific criteria."

The movie "Into the Fire," which is based on the real-life battle of Nakdong River during the Korean War, held its first official preview on May 27 (local time) by the invitation of the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University in California, USA, and attracted the attention of American movie critics and local viewers.

The main actor Kwon Sang Woo (34) and director Lee Jae Han held a press conference in Sheraton Hotel in Silicon Valley the day before the preview and said, "This year is the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, so I hope that people can have an opportunity to think about the meaning of the war and its subsequent historical pain through this movie."

The following are the questions and answers.


Interviewer: How do you feel about tomorrow’s preview?

▲ Lee Jae Han: From the beginning stages of planning this movie, the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University has given positive assistance to us. The reason that we are having a preview in the USA even before having one in Korea is because of a promise with Stanford University. People at Stanford also notified us of their intentions that they would give us full support for releasing the movie and for the commercial success of the movie. The movie is incomplete technically, but I am very much expecting that we can introduce the movie to the USA through tomorrow’s preview.

Kwon Sang Woo: I could not sleep well last night. I will watch the movie for the first time. I am nervous because the preview is being held in unfamiliar place, but I want to watch the movie thoroughly as an actor. I think that the message of this movie is very significant and I hope the significance can be introduced widely. Actually, I did not expect that the movie would be produced this well. I just agonized about how I could play the character properly. I am just happy that I was able to finish filming the movie without any big mistake.

Interviewer: There is a rumor that you are expecting it to be the Best Foreign Language Film in the Academy Awards.

▲Lee Jae Han: I also heard the rumor. We do not know what will happen. The movie is not yet released. I hope that this movie can be loved by people. I heard that many high officials from Stanford University and many intellectuals will come to tomorrow’s preview.

Interviewer: Did you have any problems while filming the movie?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: While I filmed this movie, I became more attached to it. Personally, I was worried about acting as a student soldier because I might have looked awkward due to my old age, but I fully agreed with the significance of this movie and I became immersed in the movie while acting. I think that it will be successful. I acted while motivating myself. I tried my best not to cause any trouble for the movie by pushing myself too hard and being tensed up.

Interviewer: Do you think that you can draw more attention to the film due to the sinking of the combat corvette Cheonan?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: The sinking of the combat corvette Cheonan is a very sad and tragic incident. I think that the incident is like what happened during the Korean War 60 years ago. I guess that all of us might feel the same about it.

Interviewer: What do you expect for the viewers?

▲Lee Jae Han: I hope that viewers look at people in the movie. I want people watch this movie from a viewpoint of humanism instead of analyzing this movie with some specific criteria. I tried to free myself from any ideology in this movie because I just wanted to make a war movie.

Kwon Sang Woo: I think that this movie has educational value for student viewers. I hope that it can teach the meaning of sacrificing one’s life and shedding blood for one's country to teenagers.

Interviewer: How many viewers do you expect to watch the movie?

▲Kwon Sang Woo: I hope more than 10 million people might watch the movie (smile). Other actors and staff members seem to expect around 8.5 million viewers. Along with director Lee Jae Han, we made this movie confidently and I think that it is very good movie which can appeal to people. I am confident about it.

Interviewer: Do you have any direct ties to the Korean War?

▲Lee Jae Han: My maternal grandfather died during the war in the Korean army. My parents experienced the horrors of war when they were children and have told me about their experiences many times. I think that watching this movie can be an opportunity to share the sufferings of our nation.

Interviewer: The release date of the movie overlaps with the World Cup.

▲Kwon Sang Woo: I personally love soccer very much. I want both that our soccer team can advance to the first round and that our movie can have great success.

Hey kpop lovers! A simple thanks and a click on the ad really could make our day~ really appreciate it if you guys could help and support us. Thanks in advance.

Source: KBS
Credits: http://theksource.blogspot.com/
(Please do not remove any credits when taking out news from theksource.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

wibiya widget